Friday, March 21, 2008

Chamonix, France

In Europe Easter is a 4-day weekend so we went to Chamonix to ski with our friends (Hemmerts, Framptons, Malms, and Tomlinsons). While we were there we got about two feet of snow. At 8:15 AM, Ashley and Anthony were at the lift, hoping to get first tracks (while the Hemmerts were kind enough to watch our kids). Apparently we were the only ones that didn't get the memo that the mountain was closed due to high winds and avalanche danger. Eventually they did open part of the mountain and we had some of the most amazing powder skiing ever:


Unfortunately, a snow snake grabbed Ashley's leg and she had to ride down in a patrol sled and special medical gondola. (She's now limping around, but recovering just fine and no surgery required.)


On a positive note, they re-closed the mountain just after she fell, so we didn't miss out on any skiing, and we had a great time walking around town, playing in the snow and sharing fondue with our friends afterwards.


In the morning the sun was shining, and even more snow had fallen. Here's the view from our hotel:



It was a perfect day for skiing. Of course, it was our turn to watch the Hemmert kids so that they could ski. I was a pretty jealous, but I already had my powder day, and we all had fun sledding and eating snow:
At one point Dan Hemmert called me and said, "Anthony, if you can, you really should find a way to come up here. I've never skied in snow this deep before." (This coming from someone that grew up skiing in Utah.) Thanks, Dan. That's a nice image for me to think of while I'm down here playing with your 4 kids. Fortunately, the Hemmerts are better parents than we are and didn't want to leave their kids all day, so I got in a few more runs that afternoon:


On the way home Andrew and Brooke discovered that their blankets double as Spiderman masks, and we stopped in Lausanne for some crepes:


And in case you were wondering how we manage to travel around with three small kids, here's what our hotel room usually looks like:


8 comments:

Sarah S said...

that snow looks pretty amazing!!

and I love the different colored pack and plays :)

Melissa said...

all i see is. . .COLD!
can you tell i'm ready to leave the northwest for california?

Melissa said...

oops. . .i mean northeast. :)

Kerstin said...

All those pics make me want to learn to ski. How gorgeous those mountains and snow are! Ash I hope you are doing okay- those pictures of you being taken down the mountain looked scary.

Rachie said...

The snow looks great. Your kids look great. Sorry about your leg!

I was wondering if the twins are still in porta cribs...

Andy said...

Anthony,

Lindsey sent me this link. I am totally jealous. Are you planning on staying in Europe, or is it wearing on you?

jessicalangprice said...

Such a blast! I wish we could have gone...maybe next season when I'm no longer breastfeeding. Since you guys will still be here, we'll go together! Tally said he still hasn't seen snow here better than Utah so I'll have to tell him to talk to Dan. I can't believe you skied after injuring yourself but I'm so glad you got good snow.

Frampton Family said...

I just realized that we didn't get any pictures together. I had a blast down there with you all. I hope we can get in one last trip with you before we go. Josh and I agreed that you and Anthony are two of our favorite people to travel with.